Latinos Who Tech is brought to you by Audible. Go to www.audibletrial.com/latinos to claim your free audiobook!
Connect with Carlos via linkedin:Carlos Sarmiento
Want to help us grow? You can:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Send us a note with your thoughts at LatinosWhoTech@gmail.com
- Share it with a friend!
- Facebook Recruiting Event
- Facebook Engineering Bootcamp
- ERG (Employee Resource Group)
- Latin@ – Facebook Diversity
- Latin@ – Facebook Careers
- Hack – programming language
- 01:42 – Welcoming Carlos Sarmiento
- 02:06 – About Carlos
- 02:40 – Reaching Facebook: from Caracas to Facebook
- 05:38 – About Facebook’s recruiting events
- 08:28 – A Software Engineer at Facebook: The experience of a day in the life
- 10:55 – About Facebook’s Engineering Bootcamps
- 13:30 – Process to select a bootcamp
- 15:18 – A story from Instagram Ads
- 19:31 – How a referral works
- 23:44 – Diversity at Facebook
- 27:09 – Last words for audience
Facebook Recruiting EventsA good way to select the best people for a company is through recruiting events. During these event recruiters give interviews to potential candidates, share with the community information and the experience of what it is like working at Facebook
The experience of a day in the lifeWorking in a team with a collaborative process has better results when looking for a high impact.
Having a mentor helps somebody ramp up and succeed in a company
Facebook engineering bootcampAny engineer that wants to work at Facebook, has to go through a bootcamp. Bootcamps are great onboarding programs. They are opportunities for working right away, learning everything about the company and having a senior engineer mentor through the whole process
Fix and Learn!Everybody at Facebook roll in the same direction, so if somebody fails or makes a mistake, the whole team takes responsibility, and all go through the “fix and learn” process
Employee ReferralsThe best thing a growing and hiring company can do to find talented people, is ask people already working in the company for candidate recommendations
Diversity at FacebookAt Facebook, being a Latino is not an issue, and employees use the same common english language so no one feels excluded.
There are many ERG’s supported by Facebook to foster diverse communities. Lantin@ is one of their largest groups and is for the latino community
Last words for audienceA professional career in a company doesn’t happen immediately, it is something that is built up to. Go for it! It is better to fail by trying than fail by not trying!
Who is Hugo Castellanos? Find out about him on linkedinThanks so much for listening to the show! If you want to know more about this or comment on the show, please join us on LatinosWhoTech or go to Conexiones